Saturday, May 4, 2013

Day 1 of 46.

I started this blog to help other sisters who are preparing to go on missions or who are thinking of going on missions. And in all honesty, I haven't been able to post because I've been so busy, which is I think the best way of illustrating preparation for a mission. Especially if you're working to pay for your mission or part of it.
I work at JCPenney, a well known and generally well respected retail chain. With the new CEO, things are going back to the way they used to be and we are getting a lot of our customers back. So the past two days I worked super long shifts at the front end registers. Last night I closed (2:30 PM to 10.) and today I opened (we open at 10, but I came in at 7 AM to straighten the store.)
So the past two days have been EXTREMELY busy with a couple coupons, and sales in the store.
And, every week each associate on the floor has an expected goal to get at least one customer to apply for a JCP credit card. This week, I kid you not, I got 10. So for the month I had 11 or 12. Our goal for the month is 4. I feel really proud because I worked hard and one of my bosses recognized my effort and I was awarded this little thank you card associates sometimes get. It has a code on it and we go on a special website and choose a reward. It was nice, I got a free subscription to Rolling Stone out of it. (I collect the covers. I have a ton in a box in my closet. And I love to read the articles and music reviews.)
Anyway, so I have been working hard to do a good job in my last couple weeks at this job.
As of this moment, I have 46 days left until my departure for the provo MTC.
As of this moment, I know about 15 words in Russian. I know 3 or 4 phrases. I can recognize when you're talking about a group of people or one person individually or male or female.
I have a lot of sorting I need to do, through my clothes and through the mission stuff I already have bought. I have Sunday through Thursday off this week and I plan to use those days to my full advantage. IE, getting some shopping done, and studying Russian every possible second.
Oh! I have a couple interesting experiences from today. So, at work, when I was helping a woman apply for her credit card, she was Russian and spoke very little English. In the end, I was able to convey the necessary questions and information to her. But sadly, I did not remember any of the Russian I know at the time. I was flustered and the line was getting long. She said a couple times "Sorry, I do not understand." So I had to push myself to think of ways to communicate with her. That moment made me grit my teeth and wish I had started studying Russian earlier.
But I am making some strides.
When I got home, my sister was watching Iron man 2. In the movie, there's a part set in Russia where the bad guy was hiding out. And I recognized the language when I saw signs on the scenery in the movie. I could verbalize a couple of the letters but I did not know what they meant. BUT I am getting to the point where I know the Russian alphabet and can read it.
So there's two motivations to KEEP STUDYING :)
I haven't gotten to read the scriptures lately, so I don't really have a scripture to share. But I have been thinking a lot about the temple ever since I went through to get my endowments. Obviously now I wear garments everyday and I have noticed a change in myself. I find that I am a lot more faithful. I don't always remember to pray in the morning, at night, or before meals, but I do pray often. Probably 3 or 4 times a day at least. Today for example, I prayed in my head to be able to communicate with that woman on the credit app. I was able to get through it with grace. I prayed that I would be able to stay awake the whole day at work. I did. And I prayed for some other more personal things.
I also thought about my patriarchal blessing. I haven't read it in a long time and I think that in my few days off, I will need to really read it a few times. I plan to read it every day and before I read my scriptures.
So there you have it. Just some simple thoughts today. I am really tired right now and I want to get some other things done before church tomorrow. I am ward chorister and I need to practice the hymns a couple times before I lead the congregation tomorrow. Last sunday I didn't practice and I was so embarrassed that I messed up so bad. This sunday will be different.
I think tomorrow I will post a scripture or a story and what I read or something. Then on Monday, I'll post again. I will do my very best to make it a daily thing so that I can help some of my friends and other sisters prepare.
One tip for the day: be PATIENT with yourself. Also, time goes by quickly when you're idling your time away. Don't be idle because one day you'll have a startling realization that you have very little time left to complete the things that stand in need of completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment