Saturday, June 1, 2013

Russian is a difficult language.

You guys, Russian is a HARD language.
I took 3 languages in high school and all of them were cake compared to Russian. I took Japanese, Spanish, and American Sign Language.
But today, even just making new flashcards for myself, I had kind of a break through.
I know languages don't really stick until you get out in the field and start actually speaking it. And I have heard many times "if you dream in the language, you've mastered it, or are fluent". Neither of those has happened yet, however, after a month of studying, the alphabet it starting to come much easier to me. I can read words really well, even if I don't know what they mean. There are still a couple letters I struggle to grasp, but I know if I study hard the next few days that I will be able to get those into my noggin.
I am getting better with pronunciation, although it is one of the hardest parts for me. I recently had a lot of work done on my teeth, including two crowns put on my front teeth. The dentist straightened them pretty well in the process too. I am still trying to get used to my straight front teeth so when I talk sometimes I have a lisp or my tongue just gets jumbled. Working on that as well!
But so far I love the Russian language. It sounds so cool. And when I hear something on TV or out in public about Russia, I immediately turn my head to listen. And when I hear a language that sounds like Russian, I try to listen and catch words I know.

Lets see... what else. Oh right! I am sorting through all of my clothes today. I have 18 days left so I am packing my entire room except for what is absolutely necessary to keep out. So I will take pictures of my mission clothes and combinations and I will post a collage of sorts later on. I have found that it really helps to see what other sisters are planning on bringing. However, I will not be putting on my sweater tights or my light coat. I will put the shoes on to see what shoes go with the outfits though.

I am so excited to get out into the MTC. I can hardly believe it is only 2 1/2 weeks away. My farewell talk is only 8 days away! Oooh... I have to write that...
I am a little sad that I only have three sundays left in my calling though. I LOVE this calling. Ward chorister is so much fun. I have gotten to choose the hymns and have gotten to lead the music and hear the congregation sing. It's so spiritually uplifting. I might even cry on the closing hymn on June 16th. That will be my last day in the ward.

It's so insane. Three months ago I was waiting and running to the mailbox everyday before and after work. Now I am about to ACTUALLY go to Russia. I feel like it is the perfect mission for me. I know Russian is the language I really needed to learn because there is a high population of Russian speakers around where I live. I know I can get a job really easily with the knowledge of this language.

My mind can hardly comprehend what I am about to do. Right now it can't even comprehend how excited it is. I feel on top of the world, even with all the stress.

I am going to the temple again this week with a friend. I can't wait. I love the temple. I have been thinking of some answers I need in the scriptures and in just life in general and I think going to the temple this week will be the best thing for me.

So, I will post my outfit combinations later today. I will also make sure that I write a spiritual tidbit. I think I'll also post the hymns that my ward is going to do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment