Sunday, July 20, 2014

New me carries 1,000 pounds of lead in 90+ degrees

This weekend I made a lot of last minute decisions to do things to change myself and become more domestic and interesting. For example: I bough a blueberry bush at the Farmer's Market yesterday. I bought it and picked it up, knowing that my little passatt was a quarter mile away and this plant was 40 pounds... I realized all too late that after 2 minutes of carrying this thing in the 90 degree, and irritatingly high humidity through a crowded farmers market.... the little 40 pound blueberry bush would become a 1,000 pound lead bush.
Needless to say, I took breaks on the way. On the second break, I was under a shady tree, watching people scurry around and fanning myself with my nasty sweaty hand. It dawned on me then... I own a 2001 dinky little VW freaking passatt. The blueberry bush was about 5 feet tall. I would be playing an obnoxiously real game of tetris once I reached my car. And I wasn't happy about it.
Anyway, after I got to the car, I opened the back door and just looked at it for a minute. Then I picked up the blueberry anvil and put the base of it on the ground at the foot of the seat in the back. I quickly realized there was absolutely no room in my entire back seat to even lay the plant down. So, I just left it upright and let the rest of it hang out the window.
After that adventure I took it to the side of my dad's house. He just bought a gorgeous house that has an awesome yard. The sideyard though, looks like someone, at one time or another, attempted a garden. There's pretty much just dirt, dust, weeds, and some dead grass that now resembles hay. I told my dad to come out and see the little bush and he laughs and says "You know, now that I look at it, it looks like the two bushes in the side yard." Sure enough, the only living things in my dad's side yard are two blueberry bushes. But that's okay. You always want to have the blueberry bushes be big and you usually plant a few.
So the reason I took it to my dad's house is because he wants to create a little garden type area. I am actually really excited about this and asked if I could help him. He works a lot and I don't have a hobby, so it will be nice and I love gardening so this will give me some way of being productive. Now I don't have to lay around in my husband's too-big sweats and watch Netflix all day. Woo!
Tomorrow I am going over to start by pulling weeds and pulling out the dead grass and planting my blueberry bush next to the other two. I'll post before and during pics of course. I am really excited about this project. My brother in law is sort of like a starting off farmer. He's really interesting actually and it's cool to hear about the stuff he does. Right now he has several tomato plants going and I think radishes and some other stuff too. And there are blueberries on the property as well.
That's all I have today, but tomorrow will be a much more interesting post with pictures and explanations on how I did things. I am probably going to go research some stuff on gardening too.
Cheers :)

1 comment: