Friday, January 24, 2014

In which I give up sugar for a year

Okay so some of my twitter followers were promised a blog post tracking my progress. As in the past, I am a tad flaky on meeting my personal blogging "deadlines". So, my apologies :)
  Well this past Wednesday I started my year without sugar. This was inspired by a Mormon vlogger on youtube. Actually, by his awesome 10 year old son. Check them out. They are the shaytards and their vlogs are hilarious and adorable. I love seeing the new ones they post everyday. They are an awesome and inspirational family.
  So this awesome, adorable kiddo went a whole year without candy, dessert, and soda. He made it a whole YEAR! That got me thinking about how this year I am training for a marathon in 2015. (Which by the way is probably going to be the Portland marathon since I live super close to Portland and will live even closer probably marathon season next year.) It got me thinking that I need to change my diet. And so I set this goal which I started on Wednesday.
AND IT'S ROUGH!!!
  I never realized just how much dessert and candy and soda crap I put into my body everyday! It has been only 3 days and it feels like at least a whole week. Then yesterday, I did half a juice fast. Since I always have really low iron I need at least one meal a day or I get shaky and dizzy and I get a headache. But I woke up this morning feeling so good! The sun was shining, my body felt good and tight and I wasn't starving like I usually am when I wake up everyday. It was awesome!
  I am loving this year long sugar fast thing so far. I can already feel a difference in just three days. I seriously have more energy and it is a lot easier to eat healthy. This morning I had apples and toast for breakfast. Usually I skip breakfast because it's kind of frowned upon to eat sugary stuff at that part of the day. And I usually rationalize that if I don't eat breakfast I can get away with eating more later.
  Okay, enough of the chit chat. Here are my stats for January:
January 24, 2014 (is it really 2014??? Hasn't really clicked in my brain yet.)
-Weight 150 lbs (Yeah I know, but that's going to change!!!)
-Best mile time: 8:01
-Days without candy, soda, sugary desserts: 3

So there's that :) I am so excited to see my progress this time next month!

One more thing I really want to blog about. This sunday makes one month of dating my best friend. Did that make sense in English? I just want to avoid the use of "anniversary" because I only really consider anniversaries as yearly things.
But I digress...

I am so happy. This month has been the happiest I've felt in a long time. January marked one year since my mom passed away from stage four Breast cancer and I was having such a hard time with that grief and that heartbreak in November and December. Then my sweetheart came along at the end of December and helped me so much. He continues to lift me up everyday and help me to choose to be happy. He makes me laugh and he makes me think. We have deep, meaningful conversations; and we have goofy, nonsensical ones in which we laugh forever. He's teaching me to drive. He's smart. He's one of my very favorite people :)
Thank you to my sweet goofball for a month of fun and pure joy that I haven't felt in a long time. You are the best :) Here's to many, many, many more months of the same :)

Thank you too, readers for being so loyal. I can't believe how many of you actually read my blog! It's fantastic and gets me super excited. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love your new outlook :) Love your dietary resolve. (Sugar is the enemy.) But now fasting is not a good thing. One of the diabetes classes I took says to eat, even if you don't want to - like when you are sick. Eat a balanced diet of veggies and fruit, grains and meat. You need protein (eggs, cheese, meat) with any carb (bread, potatoes, rice) you eat... that will keep your BS (blood sugar) at a medium regulated level. Especially at your age you should incorporate these methods of eating. Denying that diabetes will affect you is folly. (It's in your family and there's nothing you can change about that - sorry.)
    You should eat small meals, and bits as a snack to keep up your strength and keep your blood sugar at a level keel, especially now while you are dieting and exercising. Don't skip meals. Having only one big meal a day is the recipe for Diabetes. Ask your doctor or a health consultant. You could ruin your mid life - maybe your whole life by messing up now.
    (Skipping sugar is a great idea! )
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete